|Photo Credit: Reg Mckenna via Wikicommons|
We're pleased to announce that our Mammal of the Month for December is the harvest mouse!
Our top five harvest mouse facts are:
* They have 2-3 litters a year
* They weigh just 4-6 g on average
* Spotting a nest is the easiest way to detect their presence. These are built at least 30 cm above ground in grasses or reeds and can be up to 10 cm in diameter for a breeding nest
* They have prehensile tails - useful for climbing!
* They live 18 months on average.
Find out more about the species with the Mammal Society's fact sheet at:
Harvest Mouse Factsheet
and don't forget to record any sightings or signs of these or any other mammals for us at:
Check out the great photos of the harvest mouse nests found on the recent training day - posted a few weeks ago on the BMG Facebook page.