|Photo Credit: Becky Thomas|
We're back after the festive break and very pleased to announce our first Mammal of the Month for 2015 - the otter.
Our top five facts for this often secretive species are:
• They can live up to 10 years in the wild
• Young are born in dens called holts and the mother looks after the cubs alone
• Otters can have large territories - up to 20 km of river!
• Their poo is called spraint - it smells sweet and musky and is often the only way you know that an otter is in the area.
• After almost disappearing from much of Britain in the last century they are now making an impressive come-back - BMG even has a record from very close to the Oracle Shopping Centre in the centre of Reading!!