|Otter - photo credit: Becky Thomas
Our first Mammal of the Month for the new year is.... the otter.
Our top five facts for this often secretive species are:
* They can live up to 10 years in the wild.
* Young are born in dens called holts and the mother looks after the cubs alone.
* They can have very large territories - up to 20 km of river!
* Their poo is called spraint - it smells sweet and musky and is often the only way you know that an otter is in the area.
* After almost disappearing from much of Britain in the last century they are now making an impressive come-back - BMG even has a record from very close to the Oracle Shopping Centre in the centre of Reading.
Find out more about the species on the Mammal Society's fact sheet at:
Otter fact sheet
and please record any sightings (of them or their signs) at: